Friday 11 October 2013

Roar Like a Lion

I'm Lion, Pune

The Basics - Home cooked food, very small restaurant, decent quantity for the price, reasonable, try what's been tested. 500-600 for two. Closed on Thursdays. 12:00-3:00pm, 7:00-11:00pm
The Address - U10, Navkar Avenue, NDA Pashan Road (road next to Axis Bank), Bavdhan
The Verdict - If you're a college kid craving some home food, you should check this out. 

I came across I'm Lion by chance during one of my routine trips to Bavdhan. Nothing glamorous about it, I in fact, wanted to walk away and come back again another day, until I saw in fine print... "Strictly non-veg". This place has to have something.

Unsurprisingly, sea food, Magalorean and Goan dishes dominate the menu with a few more additions like biryani. I gleamed with joy and sat down on the white tables and uncomfortable plastic chairs. I'm Lion is small - very small - with two tables on the ground floor and two-three upstairs. While the customers downstairs will have to make do with table fans hung to the corner of the wall, the ones upstairs can enjoy the airconditioner. 

Having been to I'm Lion over a twenty times already, I like to think of myself as an expert. Neer dosa with mutton keema is the best thing they have on offer. Yet, their keema can be a tad bit too oily, so make sure to let the owner, a happy and friendly chap, know that you want yours with less oil. He will gladly oblige. The dosas are soft and the chefs have perfected them. The food reminds you of home and the restaurant being so small gives you that homely feel.

Chicken sagoti, Mangalorean chicken and mutton/chicken biryani are all worth having. The biryani is enough for one if you have worked up a good enough appetite and the chicken sagoti goes well with the neer dosas. The raita was freshly made but so sweet that it did not blend with the biryani. The chicken wings were good with just the right amount of spice and gravy, making for a perfect starter. It comes in a plate of six. You can try almost anything on their menu and you won't be disappointed. 

Although I did enjoy their prawns fry I was rather disappointed with the quantity and noticed it varied each time. Same goes with the Prawn masala which was too spicy, losing the flavours of the curry itself and the spice overpowering the dish. The keema roll was also a disappointment. The owner on the other hand, is forever helpful and personally takes the orders. He's willing to listen to suggestions and instructs the chefs to cook to suit your palette. 

Reasonably priced, I'm Lion is popular with college students in and around Bavdhan. The owner is usually seen discussing a football game or helping perfect his customer's order. Typically, you shouldn't go wrong with seafood here, but if you really want to be safe the keema and neer dosa is just the thing for you. For its price, I can vouch for I'm Lion, but make sure to ask for less oil! Regardless, if you're in this area, you cannot miss having a meal here.

The food comes hot and the dosas steaming. Dig in right away and enjoy this home cooked meal!

What's hot - Mutton keema with neer dosa, Basa fish dishes are also great and go better with neer dosas than with rice
What's not - Prawn masala

Your Foodista.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting. I hope you like my blog. Feel free to subscribe to the blog, or follow me on Twitter or Facebook! Visit again!