Tuesday 12 November 2013

The Humble Vada Pav

Maharashtrians share a love-hate relationship with the humble vada pav. It is fondly termed "India's burger" and seduces all vegetarians and non-vegetarians alike in this pav-loving state. When I first came to Pune I was fascinated by the number of vada pav stalls that filled Pune's busy streets. Every nook and corner boasted "the best vada pav". While at first I was hesitant to try this Maharashtrian delicacy, not so much because I don't like street food, but because I was so sick of pav. Everything here I noticed, is eaten with pav - keema pav, chicken pav, pav bhaji, misal pav, vada pav... 

This simple fried aloo tikki (potato patty) sandwiched in a pav, sprinkled with spices is truly India's vegan burger. It's not only the common man's food but Maharashtra's elite are also known to be fond of it. It's free of every class and caste divide that we find in this rich state. Although not very healthy, it's light on the pocket and takes no more than fifteen minutes to cook and eat. 

This little pav delight, fondly etched in every Maharashtrian's heart, has proudly declared August 23rd "Vada Pav Day". With its humble origins in Mumbai, today we  see it's influences across the country. Globalization too has affected it. Just the other day I remember trying a double cheese vada pav!

Someone summed this snack up very well - "heaven on the tongue and hell on the arteries"!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting. I hope you like my blog. Feel free to subscribe to the blog, or follow me on Twitter or Facebook! Visit again!